Thursday, May 17, 2012

"Sea Tangle" Noodles - YUCK!

On Monday the hubs and I finally got around to checking out the new Korean owned market that opened up nearby recently.  It's "full sized" -- taking the place of a regular grocery store and pretty much keeping the produce department intact.  I can see getting fish/seafood from there quite often if that department stays as clean and stocked as it was.  

They have a full complement of the shiritake, konjac, yam noodles and such (all the same thing essentially though some have a tinge of soy that makes them look less like cellophane noodles and more like ramen).  These days I avoid those although prepared properly they can be an acceptable low carb/calorie filler.  But I had heard of the kelp noodles and thought I'd like to give them a try.  

So there amongst the others sat a package of Sea Tangle Noodles.  I went to try them yesterday.  They come in a plastic package, much like the shiritake.  I was happy to discover there was no fishy smell that required extensive rinsing.  But that's where the happiness ended.  They are rather springy, almost like cartilage, utterly tasteless (not such a bad thing), but the texture was just gross.  While shiritake noodles are weirdly chewy, these are crunchy! -- and not in a good way.  

I think I'll try frying them up with some chili oil just to see if they might have some redeeming quality/use, but I just thought I'd share my experience to save anyone ever wondering the time and money.  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment