Monday, May 14, 2012

Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) ~ Good or Bad?

While I was looking at something unrelated (except that it was a fatty acid), the following popped up in my search:  Weight loss supplement - conjugated linoleic acid - shows nasty side effects.  Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) first came to my attention, other than hearing about it as a supplement from time to time, during a discussion on trans fats and trans fat content of certain foods.  CLA is a trans fat, it's just not an unnatural nasty chemical we associate with the term these days.  It's found in meat of grassfed animals in particular, milk/dairy from same animals and eggs.   If you do a search on CLA and trans fat you'll turn up all manner of reports how it's the "good" or "healthy" trans fat.  In addition to some anti-cancer claims, it's also touted as the "belly busting" trans fat.  Sign me up!  

But, not so fast according to the article, which references two studies: (2007, nothing new here, just thought I'd pass this along as I hear buzz over CLA from time to time)
Read more »

No comments:

Post a Comment