Friday, May 10, 2013

Saving Another Soul

From a reader:

I heard about you on the Tom Leykis Show and I immediately picked up your book! "Worthless" was the most valuable investment I ever made!Now I don't have to fear ending up like my Leftist sister who graduated with an Anthropology degree & now drowning in debt with no job! I am also obsessed with your YouTube videos and I agree with you on virtually all of your topics! You are one of my 4 biggest role models along with Tom Leykis, Adam Carolla, and Dennis Prager. I'd be thrilled if I could stay in touch you & write to your advice every once in a while. Thanks!

-Brice in California


I appreciate Brice's e-mail, but it also reminded me of a little story I need to share.

I was at the Orlando International Airport waiting on standby.  Since my plane wasn't going to be coming in for a while, I was looking for one of the coveted electrical outlets to plug my phone and computer into.  As I scoured the area I walked past a young lady who I believe to be a janitor or baggage person.  She was talking to another co-worker and I caught a segment of the conversation:

"I know it doesn't pay well, but I getting my degree in Anthropology.  You have to follow your dreams."

I wanted to rip her a new one, telling her to stop being so idiotic and naive.  That she was never going to achieve anything of note or worth,  that there were a billion naive young 20 somethings just like her, and that this lousy job she had was going to be the only job she could get, even after completing college.

Of course, this would have been impolite and probably land me in trouble.  So instead  I walked up to her and asked:

"Excuse me, do you know where there are any electrical outlets?"

She said, "Yes, there's one down the hallway on the left."

I figured it was the anthropology major's equivalent of "Do you want fries with that?"

Regardless, look, don't have your child grow up to become the janitor at the airport with $75,000 in student debt.

Just have your child grow up to become the janitor.

Not everybody has to go to college and you only hurt your children pushing them into a worthless major that they're not going to use.  There's nothing wrong with being a janitor or a baggage guy.

There IS something wrong being financially crippled because you or your parents were a moron and you ended up majoring in crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment