Monday, September 19, 2011

Because X-Box 360's Can't Sprout Legs

It was 1994.

I was a freshman and invited to a party being hosted by my boss at the U of MN Police Departments "Campus Cops" program.

I showed up and sure enough everybody was drinking and my corporal, after drinking for several hours challenged me to a race from his house to Como avenue. He would wear his boots and I could wear my regular shoes.

He was about 6'1" and I was much shorter. I knew he had me. I knew he would beat me and was doing it just to prove he could.

Of course I took the challenge in the outside hopes of proving him wrong in front of everybody and winning some street cred (which didn't exist in 1994).

Sure enough,

On your marks,

Get set,

GO!

I booked.

I mean, I just booked. Waiting for him to pass me I could have sworn he was just toying with me.

But when I stopped hearing his boots hitting the pavement I permitted myself the luxury to look back and see he had not only given up, but was puking on the street.

Lesson to be learned?

Don't assume people are always chasing you. Especially when you girls play "hard to get." Because we may have been chasing in our teens and 20's, but stopped chasing long ago.

The question is whether you have the wisdom in your 30's and 40's to look back.

Oh, and hey, enjoy that decline!

No comments:

Post a Comment