Monday, August 20, 2012

My Observation About Telephone Poles

Let me tell  you about telephone poles.

Oh, I know, I know.  I can see it now.   All you schmoes are now saying,

"Oh no, how much sun did the Captain get that he's starting to philosophize about telephone poles"


but I'm about to prove you doubting Thomases wrong.

First take a look at these couple of pictures and see if you can see where the telephone poles are ( you may have to magnify them).



























Now keep in mind these are just two photos.  In my travels through the west I notice that telephone poles are put and placed in a very direct manner.  Whoever put them in didn't care what terrain had to be traversed.  The lines ran the way the bird flies - in the most direct manner.

This means the telephone poles were placed and installed on the highest mountains, the deepest valleys, across the driest lands which leads me to opine...

HOW COOL OF A JOB WOULD THAT HAVE BEEN IN THE 30's-50's TO BE THE GUYS INSTALLING THOSE TELEPHONE POLES?!?!

I mean, you would get to hike and climb the most awesome and breath-taking terrain and GET PAID FOR IT.  Oh sure, I'm sure it was very physically demanding, but if you look at telephone lines and where they go, you have to get a little jealous of the employees of the telephone company that were paid to put those in.

Sturgis/Black Hills riders can appreciate this, as I first noticed this when entering the Spearfish  Canyon.  NOt only do telephone wires go across the canyon, a swathe of trees were cut out right up the side of the mountain to make way for more telephone poles.  Well who got the joy of climbing Spearfish Peak to do that!?

Now that I'm not working maybe I should look into employment at some of the western telephone companies to do repair work.

This concludes my Super Awesome Philosophical Observation (TM) of telephone poles.

No comments:

Post a Comment