Friday, August 10, 2012

AHS(?) Bumpity Bump Bump: When is Fat a Fat?

Soooo ... I've been following the #AHS12 hashtag on Twitter, and I'm not sure this came directly from there or from me clicking on an ID on one of the tweets and then checking out other tweets ... but anyway, I stumbled across this exchange between Aaron Blaisdell and Robb Wolf:


Ruminant fermentation converts cellulose to fats. Cows actually run on a 60-70% FAT diet.
 Paul Jaminet wrote the same thing in his book Perfect Health Diet
  SCFA are not metabolized as "fats" . Ruminants convert the bulk of these via DNL to LCFA.



FWIW, Robb retweeted this.  Now I'm pretty sure since he's at AHS12, this tweet came from a statement someone made in their presentation.  This is a claim I hear made from time to time -- that pretty much every animal being on the planet somehow consumes a high fat diet because when one eats the "right" carbs, gut bacteria convert them into short chain fatty acids.  This is a highly misleading concept as I attempted to outline in this post.   I hope that in revamping and adding to the book, the Jaminets will clarify the section on chain length to distinguish long, short and medium chain FA's (and leave out the part about SCFA qualifying as "fat burning" entirely ... it is generally the other way around in ruminants).
Read more »

No comments:

Post a Comment