Monday, August 6, 2012

From Our Canadian Agent in the Field

A thought provoking post (meaning it provokes thought, so if you like having your brain stimulated whilst otherwise having it dulled down at your office job, I suggest reading) about "the collapse" and how it may come down between the cities vs. the rural areas.

The only items I would add to it (and I shall be brief, for I am on Enjoy the Decline Time) are as follows:

1.  If you assume the government is gone, and it is a genuine collapse, there are two areas or "groups" that will cease to exist by the end of the week - people in the inner city and suburbanites.  The reason why is both are dependent upon other people's production and a highly sophisticated system of electronics, sanitation and food transportation for their survival.  There aren't going to be "roving bands of inner city youth" making their way across the badlands because without gas, electricity, public transportation, etc., they not only will not be able to move, they won't have food coming into the city.  It would be ugly.  The suburbs are the same thing.  Suzie Q Suburbanite Princess is not going to have the foresight to get out of the city and daddy's platinum card as well as his Beamer isn't going to work when there's no electricity.

2.  Moderate sized towns will also fail.  "Moderate" I mean anything around 50,000 even if they're nestled against a mountain.  The animal population just plain isn't big enough to support that population in terms of food.

3. Cannibalism will ensue because humans will quickly realize the only other source of food (and a macabre two-fer in eliminating competition for dwindling resources) is humans.  I know, I know.  Too harsh for pretty fragile little PC girls and boys protesting with their liberal arts degrees.  Which will make it all the more funny to watch them react to such a horrible collapse.

4.  It will be small, homogenous, cohesive towns near water/mountains that will survive.  And not just survive, they might just reclaim cities.  That's if they would want to claim New York, which I think they would just prefer to leave be.

I just hope to see some of my friends escape the major metros and mayhaps join me for a belt of Rumpleminze I have hidden in various caches across the land.

Enjoy the decline (seriously!)

No comments:

Post a Comment