Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Our gasoline works at a molecular level

Just saw an Exxon Mobile commercial claiming "our gasoline works at a molecular level" and it just struck me ... perhaps if we all take a step back from the often emotional/dogmatic diet world and look at another area where science often factors in and is exploited for fun and profit, perhaps one message I'm getting at might make it through to the recent wave of detractors.

That was an exact quote.  Perhaps someone with no chemistry background can please chime in here with what that statement would mean to you.   It is so utterly nonsensical and meaningless to this chemist and I find it insulting to all that someone thought up this crap.  I looked to see if this made mention about the net, and here is just one such in the comments:
This reminds me of some commercial from Exxon-Mobil a few weeks ago. I wasn't particularly paying attenion, but the commercial started out: "Our gas works on a molecular level..."  At that moment, my inner smartass snapped and I said "That's how ALL gas works, that's the entire basis of combustion! You simple fools!"  Honestly, if you zoom out and don't really pay attention to what the TeeVee is spitting out, you realize how stupid a majority of the programs and ads are.
Stuff like this torques me off, because it's that baffling with bullshit crap.  The comment above is spot on.  Gas "works" at a molecular level.  Tis true that different blends and additives "act" differently, but it's mostly all about chemical reactions.  

When's the last time you heard similar from the diet world?   



No comments:

Post a Comment