Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Scientific Method 101

OK ... I'm about at my wits end with some of these discussions about the net.  It's as if basic logic is not enough for some folks.  The scientific method for testing hypotheses is not difficult folks.  You don't need a genius IQ or even a high school diploma to "get it".  

Let's say, hypothetically that based on my observations, I propose A causes Z.  Others propose B, C or LMNOP cause Z.  I design my experiment.  Realistically it's impossible to control for all possible other factors -- called confounding variables or simply confounders -- but I make a good faith effort to do so.  In other words, I consider that B or C etc. may be the actual cause and merely occur concurrently with my beloved "A".  
Read more »

No comments:

Post a Comment