Sunday, August 14, 2011

Glucose and NEFA: From Dysfunctional Metabolism to Toxicity

This post started out as a comment in response to Paul Jaminet's mention of a post on this blog in his Around the Web post yesterday.  It got rather long so I decided to move it here.  In the interest of more rapid publication, I'm not going to be doing a whole lot of referencing in my discussion here, but if you're interested in a particular statement please indicate so in the comments section and I'll try to track down the reference(s) I have in mind.  Paul writes:
Every once in a while someone writes to ask me if they should fear a high-fat diet because of CarbSane’s writings on lipotoxicity. I reply that lipotoxicity only appears after metabolic syndrome has developed and, while it may drive the transition from obesity to diabetes, it is not a cause of obesity, and not a danger to people who don’t have metabolic syndrome. Also, the implications for diet are not obvious, since carb intake suppresses NEFA clearance from the blood and enhances glucotoxicity. The literature commonly speaks of “glucolipotoxicity” to describe this compounded toxicity problem. CarbSane hasn’t always been clear on these points, so it’s good to see an excellent post from her covering the basics.
Thanks for the shout out Paul!

Read more »

No comments:

Post a Comment