Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Is MightyMeta Mouse Relevant to Real Humans?

In my last post, I discussed a study demonstrating that mice on a ketogenic diet ate the same number of calories as both mice on standard chow and the obesogenic high fat+sucrose diet, but lost body weight comparable to that seen in mice constricted to eating 66% of the standard chow calories.  I dubbed this a metabolic Mighty Mouse of sorts, MightyMeta Mouse.  I don't think we'll have enough installments of this to warrant an acronym -{grin} - I'll just use short nicks when I tire of typing it out.  

In any case, this study seems to validate some of the magical metabolic claims made by those who are able to eat thousands of calories on VLC diets while having been unable to lose or in some cases even maintain weight eating stand CRD level calories.  Well, I did the math in the prior post, and although Mighty does seem to manifest a metabolic advantage of sorts, this would not translate to much for the humans in question.  A couple of hundred calories a day tops.  
Read more »

No comments:

Post a Comment