Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Is Glycemia a Continuum?

Something has been "egging me" since I wrote my last two blog posts (Some Spiked Leptinade with My Science Krispies Please! and Keep the Leptinade flowing! I'm going to die from my glucose anyway ...) on two of the studies Dr. Rosedale cited in support of his starch-is-never-safe stance.  Put another way, in his own words
...there is really no totally safe level of blood sugar that will not cause non-enzymatic glycation or damage. The thresholds for diagnosing diabetes are arbitrary numbers. As such, I consider most everybody to have diabetes; just different degrees.
I'm a little confused over Rosedale's stance, but I can't really get bogged down because, frankly, he's not talking straight.  He seems to be saying hyperglycemia is not diabetes it's the underlying hormonal imbalance, insulin and leptin resistance specifically.  He seems to be under the mistaken notion that 
When one is relatively young or pre-diabetic, the secretion of insulin and leptin when one eats non fiber carbohydrates can compensate for the moderate intake of starch and other sugars, but it does so at the expense of greater and greater insulin and leptin resistance accumulated over months and years.
Read more »

No comments:

Post a Comment