Friday, December 7, 2012

Remember LIRKO? Grey & Kipnis?

So a recent research paper has been making the rounds.  It has a "red meat" title for the die hard TWICHOOB:  Hyperinsulinemia Drives Diet-Induced Obesity Independently of Brain Insulin Production.  This paper was brought up in my comments section as well.   Every time this happens I really do feel like I'm in some sort of nutritional remake Groundhog Day.    I'm a bit backlogged at the moment, but luckily Stephan Guyenet has weighed in with his analysis and included some additional studies in support of his position.  

Whenever I think hyperinsulinemia causes obesity,  I'm reminded of the LIRKO mouse.  LIRKO is normal except its liver lacks insulin receptors.  The result is a mouse with raging hyperglycemia and hyperinsulinemia throughout much of its young life until its liver poops out.  I blogged on this mouse here:  Bloggo Science ~ LIRKO Wars Edition.  (Incidentally that post links to an older post by Stephan on the role of hyperinsulinemia here.)     Here's the rundown on LIRKO:
Read more »

No comments:

Post a Comment