Sunday, October 7, 2012

Blood Sugar 140: Context is Everything I - Diabetic vs. Non

In Blood Sugar 140: Where did the 140 mg/dL threshold come from?, I laid some groundwork as to the source of the concern over postprandial blood glucose levels over 140.  Before moving on, I thought I'd share an additional example of the 140 mg/dL threshold being evoked.  Here is a thread on Dr. Dansinger's WebMD diabetes forums:  glycation damage.
I ask this question because the consensus is that blood sugars over 140 cause the sugar to stick to vessels and organs. Dr. Gabe Mirkin writes of this on his web site. Others like John McDougall do not seem to worry about sugars over 140.

I can understand that you don't want fasting sugars over 140 but apparently even postprandials over 140 cause damage. I am wondering how long it would take for damage to be recognizable if post prandials are above 140. And does it matter how long they remain over 140 after eating?
Read more »

No comments:

Post a Comment