Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Greatest Love of All

This is the first of the CarbSane Chronicles posts I'll be blending into the main blog. I made an "executive decision" of sorts a while back to dial back on the personal stuff here at the Asylum and have all but abandoned the Chronicles. So I'll be moth-balling it and just posting under the CarbSane Chronicles label here on the main blog.  

So Whitney Houston has died.  May she find the peace now that seemed to elude her in life.  That's all I can say about that and may her family and friends heal from their tremendous loss. 

Amongst the many tributes and media pieces, they've been playing the song "The Greatest Love of All".  I did not know this back story on one of the songwriters, because as I read the lyrics this morning, they sound so much like Whitney could have written them for herself.  Certainly some of those lyrics speak to me (although I had my fair share of heroes and good role models growing up). The year this song came out, 1985, was smack in the middle of my worst struggles with eating disorders.  It spoke to me, and that self love was  certainly something I lacked and longed for myself.  Many a time this came on the radio the volume was cranked to the max ...   
Read more »

No comments:

Post a Comment