Saturday, February 4, 2012

Bloggo Science ~ FIRKO-ized!

I have long since ceased reading Peter/Hyperlipid's blog for meaningful information.  There are too many examples of him openly manipulating data and misrepresenting science for me to take him seriously anymore.  Still, our blogs share a certain readership and his readers do participate in other internet realms where I linger or participate.   As such, his blog remains on my feed reader.  Peter has been on a FIRKO mouse kick lately and it has caused me to dust off a few posts from the draft bin where this mouse fits into the discussion.  But his latest latest offering on FIRKO (Fat Insulin-Receptor Knock Out) just tripped my epigenetic BSA* gene switch.  *BSA = Bull Sh!t Alert

In FIRKO-ise, Peter actually compares a genetically modified mouse to putting a mouse on a ketogenic diet.  Really!  To review, the FIRKO mouse lacks insulin receptors.  As a result, this mouse is resistant to obesity on the usual obesogenic diet for rodents (high fat).  This mouse's fat cells do not "see" insulin and this is the low carbers favorite gen mod rodent because it so *clearly* shows that it's all about insulin signaling in fat tissue, and Taubes is right.   I'll have at the various IRKO's in an upcoming post, but the case is hardly airtight for TWICHOO.  
Read more »

No comments:

Post a Comment