Sunday, December 12, 2010

Metabolic Advantage, Obesity and Eric Jequier

Since I had the whole metabolic advantage thing on my mind writing my last post, and "Anonymous LC Author" mentioned Feinman and Jequier, I was reminded of something that's bothered me for a while now regarding citations of Jequier's work. 

A calorie is a calorie violates the second law of thermodynamics argues for the potential of a metabolic advantage in low carbohydrate diets.   Oddly enough, they ultimately make a first law argument for the MA, but that's a subject for another day.

It was this paper that introduced me to the work of Eric Jequier after which I stumbled upon the subject of my most popular post to date, Nutrient Fates after Absorption referencing this Jequier paper:  Nutrient effects: post-absorptive interactions.  But the Feinman & Fine paper cites a different Jequier paper to which the TEF values of macronutrients can be ubiquitously traced in LC circles.  That paper being:  Pathways to Obesity.  

Surely that paper is all about how we eat too many carbohydrates, right?  One might think so given that Jequier and his reported TEF differences are so often cited by those advocating for the supremacy of  low carb and/or those fingering carbohydrates as the cause of obesity.  But when one takes a closer look we see he feels quite differently:
Read more »

No comments:

Post a Comment