Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Don Quixote

It was one of those things that I couldn't remember and it was going to drive me nuts until I did.

"Man de La Mancha?"

No that wasn't it.

"His squire Pablo????"

No that wasn't it either.

I got on the Wiki, finally looked it up, DON QUIXOTE. The slightly off psychologically hero of the book "Don Quixote."

The reason I was having trouble remembering it was because I drove past a statue of Don Quixote and his squire, Sancho, over in Richfield. I was trying to explain to Natasha who they were, but could not remember their names.

However, it also reminded me of an experience from many years ago, that I thought was worthy of sharing with the younger male lieutenants of capitalism.

My memory is a bit sketchy, but I was at a restaurant or bar somewhere in Uptown. I was by myself, probably at either the beginning of a 3rd or end of a 2nd shift. My waitress was cute and had a slightly darker complexion than the average Minnesotan and upon conversation I found out she was Spanish, her parents both moving here from Spain before she was born. She also was a single mother, having a boy around the age of 10, at which point in time I saw my opening (as I was still engaging in the art of pursuing women).

Thinking I was charming and witty I said, "Your son ever read Don Quixote?"

She said, "What?"

"Don Quixote."

"What's that?" she said.

I said, "Don Quixote? The most famous book written by a Spaniard? They made a movie, Man de La Mancha about it? The guy who attacks windmills and is followed around by his short fat squire?"

She just gave me a bewildered look.

So your young Captain, thinking he's going to be a sharp sly dog, goes out the next day to buy a used copy of Don Quixote. I jot my number down on a piece of paper, put it inside the book, and drop the book off for the girl at the bar.

Never heard from her again.

Now, let's put on our economic thinking caps and and answer the following questions;

1. What was the first mistake the Captain made and what was the sign that should have told him not to make it?

2. How does this story explain the concept of opportunity cost?

Answers will be graded on being correct and concise. Not how long they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment