Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Thoughts on Childhood Obesity - The Half Man Angus T. Jones

True confession time:  I love watching reruns of the early years of the TV show Two and a Half Men.   It's been many years since I followed any TV series "live" and not in reruns, and as I'm not into Ashton Kutcher (not seeing it gals, you?) I never had any urge to watch the new shows.  As such, I was rather surprised by pictures of the son, played by Angus T. Jones, at age 19.  He's all grown up ... and decidedly not obese or even overweight.  One might call him svelte even.  Then I saw an old episode and he was a very chubby child.  

This post is about children and weight.  I think we've gotten ridiculous as a society about this in some ways.  Robert Lustig laments over some obesity epidemic in 6 month olds.  Really?  My husband was born prematurely at 4 lbs and change.  I was born full term at a robust (especially for these days) 8 lbs.  I was a "chubby" baby, he was not.  I have a picture of me at age 1 where I'm still quite chubby.  By age 4 or so, I was, if anything, too thin and I remained that way naturally until puberty (when I chubbed out a bit but was never more than 20 lbs overweight).  My husband was not a fat kid, but he was pudgy, especially in those middle school years.  But by high school he leaned out a bit.
Read more »

No comments:

Post a Comment