Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!

Wishing all of the inmates here at the Asylum a very Happy Thanksgiving!  It's been an up and down year for me, but all-in-all I have much to be thankful for.  As is tradition, the husband and I will be hosting dinner and  I'll make way too much food, but it's always good to have leftovers.  

We shall have a "balanced meal" (LOL) of really good food.  
  • First up will be crudite and stuffed baby-portie mushrooms (hot turkey sausage cuz sis and mom don't do pork, good old fashioned bread stuffing).  Might do deviled eggs too, but probably not this year.  
  • Dinner begins with cream of wild mushroom soup.  I was going to get inventive and do something different this year, but the mushroom soup has apparently become legendary so it will be made!  I'll try and post a recipe for it.  
  • Dinner proper will be turkey (of course).  My first T-giving I had no clue how to cook a bird and I roasted it upside-down like a dork.  Well folks, the breast comes out super tender that way, so unless we're doing a fry bird, I still roast it the "wrong way".  I stuff the cavity with celery and onions and herbs (don't eat that).  Nothing special but it comes out yummers.  We always do another meat, which this year will be a pot roast.  This is the easiest thing to do when entertaining, and I cook the baby carrots in the liquid at the end and they are delish.  Perfect for a " comfort food" holiday!
  • Sides:  "Fuckin mashed potatoes" (a classic from a contentious holiday of years past when hubs really took his frustrations out on the poor taters ... they sure came out creamy!), wild rice (I absolutely adore wild rice and it's something I have always associated with this holiday), probably sweet potatoes too, the good old fashioned green beans, probably garlic beets my Mom will bring, carrots.  
  • Dessert will be a to die for pecan pie my sister makes once a year.  I can't believe it's time again!  And anyone who would pass this up (celiacs are excused) are just insane in my book!!  I might make some chocolate muffins but desserts aren't something I like a lot of leftovers of.  Mom usually brings baked apples.  I don't have an apple pie in me this year ... that will have to wait for Christmas this year I think.  We'll serve a quality vanilla ice cream, and Mom will hit the Bailey's (just kidding on Mom , grin).
So I hope you all enjoy your own feasts!  

No comments:

Post a Comment