Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Diabetes "Crash" Cure Revisited

I think there were some issues brought up in the comments of my original offering on this topic to warrant a followup post.

OnePointFive made the following remarks (excerpts) I'd like to address:
I thought that the trial was interesting and that'more research is needed' but with so few subjects and only a 12 week follow up (in the paper) didn't justify the 'cure' headlines.
I agree, I think the word *cure* subsequently splashed across headlines is a bit of an overstatement.  Even in the short follow-up period, 3/11 had their diabetes return.   So even though all were theoretically "cured" at 2 months, this was not permanent once they reverted to a normal diet.   Since the average gain was just over 3kg or almost 7 lbs, it would be interesting to see the individual data, and if the three who reverted back were the ones who gained the most due to returning more full bore to their former habits.  My gut says probably!  
Read more »

No comments:

Post a Comment