Thursday, January 6, 2011

Random thoughts on Why We Get Fat

Why We Get Fat:  So I’m on a cruise ship in parts unknown of the Carribean which has given me the opportunity for people watching in their natural habitat.  Folks, we don’t need a book, or this blog, or any scholarly thesis.  And there are a lot of Europeans on this cruise in addition to the Americans for my observation of the modern human in the wild.  We EAT TOO MUCH. 

OK so you’re on vacation.  Great.  All the food is included in the cost.  Great.  Does that mean you have to shovel as much food as humanly possible down the pie hole three meals a day and midnight buffet?  Apparently for some people!  Do you not get your money’s worth if you don’t eat something from every station or something?  Over at GT’s blog they’re again debating the stupid 20 cal/day balance.  It’s not that folks!  It’s if you spend 10 days on a cruise ship and eat 2000 cal/day more than you burn lying around the deck drinking another 1000 cal/day in cocktails, you will disembark weighing several pounds more than when you came aboard.  If you don’t do anything to compensate upon arriving home, then you’re going to be a little fatter until the next time you let your hair down on vacation or a party, etc.    Thinking back, this WAS me.  Perhaps not stuffing myself silly, but definitely overeating.  So looking around at other’s plates its really a no-brainer why some of the passengers are heavier than others.  Are there thin folks with lots of food?  Sure.  But they apparently have the metabolisms to eat this way.  I also note that it’s not the ones walking laps around or putting in some miles on the elipticals that I later see trying to satisfy that exercise induced hunger I keep hearing about. 

So how am I faring now?  I’m doing quite well!  I’m still comfortably fitting my size 8 pants for casual dinner and karaoke last night.  I had breakfast the first couple of days but have skipped it since.   I just can’t eat 3 meals in a day anymore.  I did feel a bit badly for the heavier lady behind me at the omelet station the first morning though.  All I had on my plate was a few lox and bacon and I ordered 2 eggs over easy.  She was ordering an egg white omelet and commented on how good my breakfast looked.  Felt like telling her to go for it but bit my tongue.   At lunch I make sure to get my veggies in and a protein.  But, had an ABSOLUTELY sinful brownie (it was more like warm melty fudge) with ice cream the other day … shared it with the hubby and both of us felt like we were on sugar highs!  Dinner I let my hair down a bit and have my starch and a few bites of dessert IF it’s worth it.  Two appetizers are not out of the question ;-)   Thing is, I really enjoy the food I eat.  I’m not sure I did back when I was eating so much.  I would probably lose weight if it weren’t for the increased EtOH consumption, because I’m very active on vacation.  On sea days I have been walking, taking (running up) the stairs, etc.  On shore days I get all the exercise I need trying to keep up with my brother-in-law (requires quite the power walking on these short legs o’ mine!) and snorkeling.  No gym required!

Ahhh well.  I’ll check in sometime soon with some comments.  Have a great day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment