Saturday, January 15, 2011

More on Water Weight & Insulin

There's an interesting related conversation on this topic going on over at Paul Jaminet's site:

Water Weight: Does It Change When Changing Diets? Does It Matter?


For those not familiar with the Perfect Health diet, one component is to get ~400 cal in "safe starches" -- around 100g.  For those transitioning to their diet from a low carb diet, some have experienced a not-unexpected weight gain.  I've added some thoughts to the comments there and -- can't be sure and some is just a hunch -- but I think any weight bounce is probably more carb associated, predominantly glycogen repletion.  It may well be due to replenishing other "carb" molecules with their associated water as well.  My guess is that for the most part these changes show up on the scale more than in dimensions.  That was my experience during the almost 3 years of my "low carb cheating" plan.  I can't know for sure for the first year and a half or so of that, because I never weighed, but I didn't gain size during my cheats (pants still fit fine) and later after I weighed I sometimes saw a few pound gain, but again this didn't effect the fit of the skinny-jeans much if at all.  

However my current interest/focus is building on this recent post of mine:

Insulin, Weight Loss & Water Weight


In that post I referenced two studies that I'll repeat link to here:

Changes in abdominal subcutaneous fat water content with rapid weight loss and long-term weight maintenance in abdominally obese men and women - This one discusses how following rapid weight loss and improvement in insulin sensitivity of the fat tissue, fat mass increases due to increased associated water resulting from improved blood flow.

Disparate Hydration  in Adipose and Lean Tissue Require a New Model for Body Water Distribution in Man.  This one discusses various models of determining total body water content, and the contribution of adipose tissue often ignored for lean populations.  It also discusses the extra and intracellular distribution of water in adipose tissue and lean tissue.
Read more »

No comments:

Post a Comment