Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Herman the Bunny

I was pouring a new concrete footing for one of the support pillars for my deck. It had to be about 3 feet deep and a foot across otherwise it would shift and fail to act as an anchor. So I dug a sizable hole, figured it was enough work for the day and retired.

Next day it rains cats and dogs and thinking the hole has now filled up a little bit, I returned to the hole to see how much re-digging I would have to do, only to see an baby bunny shivering in the hole. Figured the poor thing was there all night, doused in rain and scared to death.

Not wanting to get rabies, I got a shovel and returned to scoop the little critter out, but he wanted none of it. Additionally I didn't want to accidentally break any of his little rabbit legs by shoving the shovel underneath him to scoop him up. So I risked the chance of rabies and just picked the little guy up with my hands.

Poor thing was cold and shivering and so I put him in the sun, went inside the house and grabbed a carrot. I return and he's still there, shivering. I put the carrot next to him (which was almost bigger than he was) and he didn't do anything. All of the sudden he darts away from me, and slips back into the hole which was all of 4 feet away.

Now feeling like he was being dishonest with me (not to mention a pretty dumb bunny), I grabbed him out of the hole and put him near some shrubbery in my back yard and left the carrot there. A month goes by and I'm smoking my cigar and I see him eating my grass near the shrubs I dropped him off at. Grabbed a picture of him, and I'm now calling him "Herman the Bunny" and he is a fixture of the Captain's Bachelor Pad and is about the closest thing I want to a child (this one lives in the back yard and costs me nothing).



I mention Herman the Bunny because the people over at Snarkolepsy have one. You should check out some of the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment