Saturday, June 21, 2008

At Least She's Honest

So a friend of mine lives in this mid to late twenties, preppy, cha-chi apartment complex that I call "the breeding grounds." All of 3 years ago you could find a place to park, but as these 20 somethings started meeting other 20 somethings, the parking lot gets fuller and fuller. Then little ones started sprouting out. And now it's impossible to find a parking spot.

To accommodate this demographic increase in the number of parents, the apartment management purchases a subscription to "Parent" magazine and leaves a couple free issues in the atrium. I'm not a parent, not do I care much for children, but I occasionally pick a copy up and peruse. And I do believe there is a Blogging God out there, because I grab this morning's latest issue, opened it up and BAAM!!! The Blogging God (who I shall name Morty) forced the magazine to open to something I've always suspected and was outright scary;



Now, like I said before, I shall never have kids. I've spoken about the rates of return you can realize on a vasectomy, but just how it's so defeatist that "oh, yeah, you pretty much give up your life and couldn't care less about your spouse. Your spouse is just there to make the kid happen, and then after that he/she is more of an annoyance. Sex is a chore and a bore. But, you know, that's life and this sad existence is all worth it because you have a kid." Or "there only is so much love to go around" as if love is in a limited quantity.

B as in B.

S as in S.

If this is a prevalent mentality in society today, then to hell with having kids. Aside from not having a kid be one of the smartest moves you can do financially, this psychological mentality that we're just drones to spit out children and then ignore your spouse means there's a cost to kids beyond finances and it's your life, your soul, your sentientness.

This also goes a long way in explaining when I'm at Target or Best Buy, buying GTAIV, Metal Gear Solid 4, or Army of 2, and I see a mom with her screaming child/children why her face is very somber looking, very depressed and very defeated, drawn out, broken. Lifeless and listless. And why I'm relatively happy knowing I'm going home to play a video game and my only major chore is to clean the toilet and water the garden.

To all the single and kidless economists out there, aspiring, junior, deputy, official or otherwise, go buy yourself and drink and toast one to yourself. Life could be a lot more lifeless.

No comments:

Post a Comment