Sunday, April 1, 2012

You, PCS vs. Jack Kruse MD, DDS

I'm going through a period of intense disillusionment with the state of this larger diet/nutrition/fitness ancestral/paleo/whole-foods/LC community on the internet and beyond.  By far the greatest contributor to this disillusionment has got to be the meteoric rise of one Dr. Jack Kruse, NEUROSURGEON! , although there are certainly others adding to the malaise.  

The other day I forced myself to re-read -- more slowly this time -- his Holy Trinity post from the night of his Paleo Summit presentation.  Now, apparently Quack Frost (there are just so many good names for this guy, I have to rotate them for him!) has some inside information on how Lance Armstrong trains in the cold.  And Phelps too?  He implies that he does.  But in the Paleo Summit he states affirmatively that Phelps spends 18 hours a day in a 50 degree pool.  This is how myths start, because I just Googled "Phelps cold adaptation" and I come across this.  Folks I don't have a medical degree.  I was, however, a swim instructor, pool rat and lifeguard in my yoot (as My Cousin Vinny would say).   So I suppose one could claim that I have some special experience that qualifies me to know that nobody trains in anything near 50 degree swimming pools.  And yet it turns out that most people know this, even if it's from a report that says so-and-so went missing in 65 degree water with the dire prognosis of survival.  The fact that a doctor would even say this, let alone repeat it (Phelps is cited over 10 times in the Holy Trinity post alone) is disillusioning in and of itself.  That others seem to accept this without skepticism is disheartening.  That still others now repeat it as fact, moreso.
Read more »

No comments:

Post a Comment