Monday, March 2, 2009

"TARP" as a Verb

We were sitting at Perkins, me and my crew (yes, I have a "crew." Ask any one of them.)

And Brian, arguably the older, wiser one of the crew says, "I have a new word."

Naturally ears perk up (cause we're at Perkins, get it? Perk? PERKins? You see, the same sound? Makes it funny? Get it? huh? The pun I mean?!)

In any case he says, "Tarp."

Smiles show on all the guys faces and Brian says, "Oh, crap, I left my wallet at home. Tarp me a couple bucks."

Ergo "tarp" took on a definition similar to "give" but that it wasn't optional. That when someone says, "Tarp me a couple bucks" they're not asking you. They're telling you much like the loser boyfriend tells his girlfriend to give him money. Thus, "tarp" is never used as a question, it's used in a declarative statement.

Of course "tarp" also implies you are never getting your money back. Thus adding to its definition a bit of understanding you're not going to see you money any more.

I'm trying to institute the word into my speech now, but haven't found the appropriate opportunity to use it. Regardless, everybody start using it.

No comments:

Post a Comment