Thursday, February 17, 2011

Elevated Free Fatty Acids: Detrimental?

As many of my readers know, I've been challenged lately on my beliefs on NEFA.  So I thought I would summarize my thinking on this in a post rather than having several comments scattered amongst a few threads.   I'm not going to be referencing my post here at this time (it's too time consuming to do so at the moment).  If/when I have the opportunity to do so in the future, I'll do a bumped update.  

These are my thoughts based on extensive research of the peer review literature on this topic, in almost all cases, considered review of full text articles including reading as many supporting citations in major reviews as possible.  Over the past year I have read at least a hundred such articles.

Elevated non-esterified or free fatty acids (NEFA/FFA) are a symptom associated with insulin resistance, Metabolic Syndrome (aka Syndrome X) and Type II diabetes.  The overwhelming evidence in the literature points to elevated NEFA being more than just associated with these conditions, but rather the initiating step in their development..   
Read more »

No comments:

Post a Comment