Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I No Longer Care About GPA's

I graduated 5th in my class at the U of MN - Carlson School of Management.

Two A-'s, the rest were A's.

The students ranked 1-4 were all bought and paid for by their parents and took a year longer than me to graduate. I also worked full time.

I will never do that again and let that be a lesson to you kids out there - GPA's don't matter.

It is an issue of marginal benefit. Without trying your Captain is getting solid B's, low A's in his classes in computer networking. To eek out all A's I would have to nearly double my study time and life is frankly too short (actually it was the observation your Captain had that he got a B+ on his latest test and it didn't bother him, whereas 13 years ago it would have enraged me that prompted this post).

Since many of you are in college and in your youth, I suggest drinking more and partying more and studying less. The straight A's ain't worth it. Go do fun stuff, maintain a B average, and enjoy your life. Study, but take an intermittent break to chase girls or something (they won't let you catch them, but it's a fun game to play anyway). Besides, it ain't like there are any jobs out there for you anyway, and by now nepotism and cronyism has so corrupted the labor market, if you don't know anybody, then forget it. Life's too short.

No comments:

Post a Comment