Friday, August 8, 2008

Captain Capitalism and the Great South Dakota Mystery

So I went out to the Black Hills/Badlands area earlier this week and I uncovered a mystery that I can't figure out and am figuring one of you savvy junior, deputy, official or otherwise economists might do a little better.

I was in the FAR south west corner of South Dakota. And when I say far, I mean literally 1 mile east of the Wyoming border and about 5 miles north of the Nebraska border. There is absolutely NOTHING out there (bar some crystals and what not which I did find). No paved roads, no telephone wires, no traffic, no town, no buildings, no farms. True wilderness. Regardless, I come around a dirt road corner and in the distance I see this (you'll have to click on it to see the detail).



Way off in the distance are these buildings.

Now I looked at a map and there is no town nearby. The closest town is a town called Igloo, South Dakota, but these buildings are not part of it.

I then did a google satellite image search and found the exact same thing I had seen from the ground.



Miles of the stuff. I just saw the edge. The geometric patterns is what I noticed the most.

Now I have no idea what these buildings are. Housing for cattle? Didn't see any cattle or livestock and there were so many buildings. Storage of some kind? In any case, see if you can solve the mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment