Wednesday, November 18, 2009

You Cannot Fight Ignorance

Quick lesson for all of you conservative, libertarian, freedom loving capitalists out there who are angry and have this sense of futility and hopelessness as it becomes plainly obvious the $1 trillion in stimulus money has just been essentially given to left leaning organizations and non-profits and has done nothing to stimulate the economy;

There is nothing you can do.

Understand that this is a democracy and when a critical percentage of the population is so egregiously uninformed and ignorant about economics that they vote for somebody to indebt them and their children to the tune of $10 trillion, you are powerless. How precisely do you fight that? How does an informed, educated and learned minority override the idiotic, brainwashed majority? You can't, at least not in a democracy.

So the only thing you can do is not worry about it.

I learned long ago that I control very little in my life. You can do all the right things. Make all the right moves. Predict all the right crashes. But in the end you don't control the vast majority of things that are going to shape and affect your life. For example I wrote an outstanding book. I took my time, put a lot of effort into crafting the perfect sentences, layout and cover. Did everything in my power to market it, but in the end it was nowhere near successful as the typical "I'm A Cute Conservative Girl, Buy My Book While Sean Hannity Pimps It Out" type book. However, in the end, I still get to point to it and say, "you know, I wrote a damn good book! And how many other people can claim that?" It didn't matter if the book was successful, all that mattered was that I did my best as that's the only thing I control. Therefore the only thing you can control is your response.

So you have a choice. YOu can get angry, yell at the sky, and be depressed about the quickly deteriorating future. Or you can pour yourself a drink, play video games, and say, "to hell with it." The end result is going to be the same regardless of what you do.

So relax, take it easy. Kiss your wife. Play with the dog. Go hunting. Read a book. Take in a movie. But above all else, don't worry about it. The only thing that is going to convince the masses is continual and consistent double digit unemployment rates. You pointing to charts and data will not while yelling at the top of your lungs will not. All it will do is drive up your blood pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment