Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Don't Forget, the French Gave Us the Statue of Liberty

Much as I ridicule the French (deservedly so), there is the occasional one or two Frenchmen that fought in the resistance, joined the French Foreign Legion or displayed some semblance of independent thought and manliness that would make you say, "you know, I would trust to have this Frenchman in my platoon if I were in Vietnam. Dien Bien Phu and all that aside, I'd still trust them."

And this guy is one such person.

Only problem is I don't speak French. But on the birth of my nation, that would not exist without the support of the French (an accursed historical fact I wish could be purged from the history books), I think we owe it to our French brothers who didn't capitulate to Vichy and were of the caliber that fought for America's freedom (or at least hated the Brits enough to do so) a little hat tip on this 4th of July.

Not that this means there will be end to the French jokes and mockery, just so you know! They shall forever be cheese-eating-surrender-monkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment