Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Another Day (by Lifer Renee)

Renee - She was only a teenager when she received a sixty-year sentence from a judge in Pima County. Fourteen years into her sentence, Renee is writing from Perryville prison in Goodyear, Arizona, providing a rare and unique insight into a women's prison.

I scrambled to get out of the call center. I logged out, submitted my time sheet, and Jen told me we were locked down. I thought, Well, there go all my plans for the day. So much for exercising.
We asked the guards why we were locked down. Sergeant Nash said we could be locked down five days a week as long as he is here, and we only have two officers on duty.

I walked across the hot dusty track that has been freshly grated. All I could think about were the staph infections, herpes and strep throat that have been running rampant.

I walked in the gate to have my door accessed. It was 90 degrees with no air on. I knew my room was going to be an oven. I opened the door, and I was welcomed to a cell that has no air circulating. I spent an hour trying to position my little fans to move the air around me. I covered the windows just enough to block the sun, but not enough to get into trouble.

A girl was taken from SMA in an ambulance. She’d hung herself, but I don’t know if she died.

Click here for Renee's previous blog

Post comments for Renee below or email them to writeinside@hotmail.com To post a comment if you do not have a Google/Blogger account, just select anonymous for your identity.

Shaun Attwood

No comments:

Post a Comment